Blue-green algae found at Franklin Locks, health alert issued
ALVA, Fla. — Toxic blue-green algae has been detected in the water of the Franklin Locks and local officials have issued a health alert.
A sample of water taken from the Franklin Locks on June 7 came back positive for blue-green algae.
Blue-green algae are a type of bacteria that can be found in Florida’s freshwater environments. The algae blooms can spread rapidly and will discolor water and even produce floating mats that smell foul.
People in the area should take these precautions:
- Do not drink, swim, wade, use personal watercraft, water ski, or boat in waters where there is a visible bloom.
- Wash your skin and clothing with soap and water if you have contact with algae or discolored or smelly water.
- Keep pets away from the area. Waters where there are algae blooms are not safe for animals. Pets and livestock should have a different source of water when algae blooms are present.
- Do not cook or clean dishes with water contaminated by algae blooms. Boiling the water will not eliminate the toxins.
- Eating fillets from healthy fish caught in freshwater lakes experiencing blooms is safe. Rinse fish fillets with tap or bottled water, throw out the guts, and cook fish well.
- Do not eat shellfish in waters with algae blooms.
Many types of blue-green algae can produce toxins that can impact human health and ecosystems, including fish and other aquatic animals.
If you spot an algae bloom, report it by calling the toll-free hotline at 855-305-3903 or report it online.
The post Blue-green algae found at Franklin Locks, health alert issued appeared first on NBC2 News.NBC2 (WBBH-TV)